Main Forms of Tobacco Used
• Chew tobacco
Trends / current status
• In 2003, the smoking prevalence among adults was 54.8% in males and 16.6% in females.
• The prevalence was 1.6% in the age group 10-14, 2.8% among males and 0.1% among females.
• 29% school going adolescent males practice smoking and 55% males start smoking during adolescence who do not go to school.
• Average number of cigarettes smoked: The annual cigarette consumption per person: 245
• Smoking is alarming, because tobacco is considered to be a "gateway drug", the use of which may lead to alcohol, marijuana and other drug abuse and high-risk behaviors in the long term.
Anti-tobacco Use Legislation
• There is no comprehensive tobacco control policy or legislation.
• Health warnings are provided on cigarette packages.
• Advertising in electronic media and specific locations is to be done widely.
• Smoking is prohibited in public places and transports.
• There are no bans on sales to children.