Within 20 Minutes:
· Blood pressure drops to normal
· Pulse rate returns to normal
· Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal
Within 8 Hours:
· Carbon Monoxide level in blood drops to normal
· Oxygen level in blood increases to normal
· Smoker's breath disappears
Within 24 Hours: Your chance of a heart attack decreases.
Within 48 Hours:
· Nerve endings start to re-grow
· Your ability to smell and taste is enhanced
Within 72 Hours:
· Bronchial tubes relax making it easier to breathe.
· Lung capacity increases making it easier to do physical activities
· Within 2 weeks - 3 months:
· Circulation improves
· Walking becomes easier
· Lung function increases up to 30 %
Within 1 - 9 months:
· Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decrease
· Energy level increases
· Cilia re-grow in lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean lungs, reduce infection
Within One Year: Risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker
Within Two Years: Heart attack risk drops to near normal
Within 5 Years:
· Lung cancer death rate for average pack-a-day smoker decreases by almost half
· Stroke risk is reduced
· Risk of mouth, throat and esophageal cancer is half than that of a smoker
Within 10 Years: The pre-cancerous cells are replaced.
Within 15 Years: Risk of coronary heart disease is same as a person who has never smoked.