Fats and its compounds are known as lipids. Liquids are called oils and solids are fats. A gram of fat contains 9 kilocalories.
Types of fats
• Saturated Fats are solid at room temperature and are found primarily in animal foods (red meats, lard, butter, poultry with skin, and whole milk dairy products);
• Monounsaturated Fats are liquid at room temperature and are found in olive oil, canola oil and peanuts.
• Polyunsaturated Fats are liquid at room temperature and are found in fish, corn, wheat, nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils.
Uses of Fat
• visible fats:
– provides a source of stored energy
– gives shapes to body
– cushions the skin
– acts as an insulation blanket that reduces heat loss
• invisible fat: This hidden fat,
– is part of every cell membrane
– is a component of myelin ,
– is a shock absorber that protects the organs
– is a constituent of hormones and other biochemical’s