Tumor is a non-specific term that means lump or swelling. It is an abnormal mass of new growth, the growth of which is uncoordinated with the normal tissues. Tumor is also called neoplasm.
Type of tumor:
Benign tumor– tumor cells are contained in one place.
Malignant tumor or cancer– Cancer is the uncontrolled multiplication of cells, which spread to other areas. Cancer is a disease characterized by out-of-control cell growth.
What is Cancer?
Normal body cells grow, divide and die in an orderly fashion. Cancer cells are different because they do not die, just continue to divide and grow. Cancer cells form as a result of damage to DNA within a cell.
These damaged DNA can be passed on, which accounts for inherited cancers. In other cases, the DNA is damaged by an outside source such as smoking. Cancer usually forms a mass or lump.
Cancer is one of the most common diseases in the developed world:
• 1 in 4 deaths are due to cancer
• 1 in 17 deaths are due to lung cancer
• Lung cancer is the most common cancer in men
• Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women
• There are over 100 different forms of cancer
• Cancer is the 2nd most common cause of death in the US after heart disease.
• The risk of developing cancer can be reduced by changes in a person’s lifestyle.